Professor of Computer Science
Department of People and Technology
Universitetsvej 1, 10.1
Tel: +45 4674 2604
Email: luhua AT ruc DOT dk
I am a member of the Programming, Logic and Intelligent Systems (PLIS) research group in the Department of People and Technology, Roskilde University (RUC), Denmark. I obtained my PhD degree from the School of Computing, National University of Singapore (NUS), and my BSc (Department of Computer Science and Technology) and MSc (Institute of Remote Sensing and GIS) degrees from Peking University (PKU), China.
My research generally concerns data management, spanning database, data mining, big data and data science. My work involves different types of data such as spatial data, outdoor GPS data, indoor positioning data (e.g., RFID, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi data), and social media data (e.g., Tweets). A good deal of my research pays particular attention to locations, either explicit or implicit, in the data. A general purpose of such research is to find valuable information and knowledge efficiently from the data, which in turn are expected to enable, improve, and enrich location based services in various, especially non-conventional, scenarios. Recently, I've also been working on data cleaning, indexing and analytics in spatial and social contexts, with a particular interest in designing effective methods applying machine learning models.
I have served as PC co-chair for NDBC 2019, MDM 2012 and ISA 2011, vice PC chair for MUE 2011, PhD forum co-chair for MDM 2016, and demo track chair for SSDBM 2014. I have also served on the program committees for conferences and workshops including VLDB, ICDE, WWW, KDD, CIKM, SSTD, MDM, ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS, PAKDD, APWeb, MobiDE, ISA, and others. I am a senior member of the IEEE and a member of IEEE TCDE.
To prospective students
If you're interested in working with me as a PhD student or a visiting student in PLIS, you're welcome to contact me via email. I will be happy to help you apply for tuition waiver from our university and financial support from Danish foundations and/or other agencies like China Scholarship Council (CSC).
[Selected Recent Publications] [DBLP, Google Scholar]
- [2020-04-01]: I joined Roskilde University after working at Aalborg University for many years.
- [2020-02-04]: My postdoc Huan Li's proposal MALOT: Managing Mobility Data Quality for Location of Things got accepted by EU MSCA Individual Fellowship program. Congrats to Huan!
- [2019-08-20]: Coauthored by Jianqiu Xu and Ralf Hartmut GŁting, our vision paper won the Best Vision Paper Award at SSTD 2019.
- [2018-08-16]: Demonstration TRIPS: A System for Translating Raw Indoor Positioning Data into Visual Mobility Semantics will be showcased at VLDB 2018.
- [2018-06-25]: Glad to receive a Project 2 grant from Independent Research Fund Denmark. The 3-year project will focus on building data management foundations for indoor LBS.
- P. Li, H. Lu, Q. Zheng, L. Yang, G. Pan: LISA: A Learned Index Structure for Spatial Data. ACM SIGMOD 2020.
- H. Li, H. Lu, A. Cheema, G. Chen, L. Shou: Indoor Mobility Semantics Annotation Using Coupled Conditional Markov Networks. IEEE ICDE 2020.
- Z. Feng, T. Liu, H. Li, H. Lu, L. Shou, J. Xu: Indoor Top-k Keyword-aware Routing Query. IEEE ICDE 2020.
- T. Liu, Z. Feng, H. Li, H. Lu, M. A. Cheema, H. Cheng, J. Xu: Shortest Path Queries for Indoor Venues with Temporal Variations. IEEE ICDE 2020. (short paper)
- F. Yu, Z. Liu, L. Cui, Z. Liu, W. Guo, H. Lu: A Category-Aware Deep Model for Successive POI Recommendation on Sparse Check-in Data. The Web Conference (WWW) 2020.
- Z. Shao, M. A. Cheema, D. Tania, H. Lu, S. Yang: Efficiently Processing Spatial and Keyword Queries in Indoor Venues. IEEE TKDE, Accepted January 2020.
- H. Li, H. Lu L. Shou, G. Chen, K. Chen, Q. Chen: Towards Translating Raw Indoor Positioning Data into Mobility Semantics. ACM Transactions on Data Science (TDS), Accepted January 2020.
- W. Wang, Z. Gong, J. Zhang, H. Lu, W.-S. Ku: On Location Privacy in Fingerprinting-based Indoor Positioning System: An Encryption Approach. ACM SIGSPATIAL 2019.
- P. Li, H. Lu, Q. Zheng, S. Li, G. Pan: HisRect: Features from Historical Visits and Recent Tweet for Co-Location Judgement. IEEE TKDE, Accepted August 2019.
- J. Xu, H. Lu, R. H. GŁting: Understanding human mobility: A multi-modal and intelligent moving objects database. SSTD 2019. (vision paper)
- P. Li, H. Lu, G. Zheng, Q. Zheng, L. Yang, G. Pan: Exploiting Ratings, Reviews and Relationships for Item Recommendations in Topic Based Social Networks. The Web Conference (WWW) 2019.
- J. Xu, Z. Bao, H. Lu: Continuous Range Queries over Multi-Attribute Trajectories. IEEE ICDE 2019. (short paper)
- J. Zhang, W. Wang, X. Jiang, W.-S. Ku, H. Lu: An MBR-Oriented Approach for Efficient Skyline Query Processing. IEEE ICDE 2019.
- H. Li, H. Lu, L. Shou, G. Chen, K. Chen: Paper Finding Most Popular Indoor Semantic Locations Using Uncertain Mobility Data. IEEE TKDE 2019.
- P. Li, H. Lu, N. Kanhabua, S. Zhao, G. Pan: Location Inference for Non-geotagged Tweets in User Timelines. IEEE TKDE 2019.
- Some indoor venue keyword data used in our recent research on indoor keyword-aware routing.
- TRIPS: A System for Translating Raw Indoor Positioning Data into Visual Mobility Semantics (demonstrated at VLDB 2018). Parts of the components are open source already. See details here or watch it at YouTube.
- Indoor mobility data generator Vita (demonstrated at VLDB 2016): A joint work with the Database Lab at Zhejiang University, it is open source now. Check it out at Github or watch it at YouTube.
- Muhammad Aamir Cheema (Monash University) and I gave a tutorial Indoor Data Managmement at ICDE 2016. The slides are here.
|Last modified: June 2020