Professor of Computer Science
Department of People and Technology
Universitetsvej 1, 10.1
Tel: +45 4674 2604
Email: luhua AT rucXYZ DOT dk (XYZ to be removed)
Photographed by Mads Folmer Jensen
New! postdoc position
I am a member of the Programming, Logic and Intelligent Systems (PLIS) research group in the Department of People and Technology, Roskilde University (RUC), Denmark. From February 2007 to March 2020, I worked in the Department of Computer Science, Aalborg University. I obtained my PhD degree from the School of Computing, National University of Singapore (NUS), and my BSc (Department of Computer Science and Technology) and MSc (Institute of Remote Sensing and GIS) degrees from Peking University (PKU), China.
My research generally concerns data management, spanning database, data mining, big data and data science. My work involves different types of data such as spatial data, outdoor GPS data, indoor positioning data (e.g., RFID, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi data), and social media data (e.g., Tweets). A good deal of my research pays particular attention to locations, either explicit or implicit, in the data. A general purpose of such research is to find valuable information and knowledge efficiently from the data, which in turn are expected to enable, improve, and enrich location based services in various, especially non-conventional, scenarios. Recently, I've also been working on data cleaning, indexing, analytics and recommendation in spatial and social contexts, with a particular interest in designing effective methods applying machine learning models.
Currently I work on two research projects. The DFF-funded iLBS builds data management foundations for indoor location based services. The EU-funded MALOT focuses on data quality related challenges of mobility data generated in IoT contexts.
I have served as PC co-chair for NDBC 2019, MDM 2012 and ISA 2011, vice PC chair for MUE 2011, PhD forum co-chair for MDM 2016 and 2022, and demo track chair for SSDBM 2014. I have also served on the program committees for conferences and workshops including VLDB, ICDE, WWW, KDD, CIKM, SSTD, MDM, ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS, PAKDD, APWeb, MobiDE, ISA, and others. I am a senior member of the IEEE and a member of IEEE TCDE.
To prospective students
If you're interested in working with me as a PhD student or a visiting student in PLIS, you're welcome to contact me via email. I will be happy to help you apply for tuition waiver from our university and financial support from Danish foundations and/or other agencies like China Scholarship Council (CSC).
[Selected Recent Publications] [DBLP, Google Scholar]
- New! [2021-09-24]: Research project Safeguarding Diversity in News Recommendation has been accepted by VILLUM FONDEN's Villum Synergy programme. A postdoc position is available.
- [2021-05-10]: Research project AI-Powered Spatial Databases has been accepted by Independent Research Fund Denmark.
- [2021-01-21]: Muhammad Umair, Muhammad Aamir Cheema, Omer Cheema, Huan Li and I have finished a survey paper on how COVID-19 impacts adoption of IoT in vertical sectors such as healthcare, smart homes, smart buildings, smart cities, transportation and industrial IoT. Check out the preprint.
- [2020-04-01]: I joined Roskilde University after working at Aalborg University for many years.
- [2020-02-04]: My postdoc Huan Li's proposal MALOT: Managing Mobility Data Quality for Location of Things got accepted by EU MSCA Individual Fellowship program. Congrats to Huan!
- [2019-08-20]: Coauthored by Jianqiu Xu and Ralf Hartmut GŁting, our vision paper won the Best Vision Paper Award at SSTD 2019.
- [2018-08-16]: Demonstration TRIPS: A System for Translating Raw Indoor Positioning Data into Visual Mobility Semantics will be showcased at VLDB 2018.
- [2018-06-25]: Glad to receive a Project 2 grant from Independent Research Fund Denmark. The 3-year project will focus on building data management foundations for indoor LBS.
- H. Li, H. Lu, C. S. Jensen, B. Tang, M. A. Cheema: Spatial Data Quality in Internet of Things: Management, Exploitation, and Prospects. ACM Computing Surveys. (Accepted Nov. 2021)
- J. Xu, Z. Bao, H. Lu: A Framework to Support Continuous Range Queries over Multi-Attribute Trajectories. IEEE TKDE. (Accepted July 2021)
- T. Liu, Z. Feng, H. Li, H.Lu, M. A. Cheema, H. Cheng, J. Xu: Towards Indoor Temporal-variation aware Shortest Path Query. IEEE TKDE. (Accepted April 2021)
- T. Liu, H. Li, H. Lu, M. A. Cheema, L. Shou: Towards Crowd-aware Indoor Path Planning. VLDB 2021. (Data and code)
- T. Liu, H. Li, H. Lu, M. A. Cheema, L. Shou: Indoor Spatial Queries: Modeling, Indexing, and Processing. EDBT 2021.(Data and code)
- P. Li, H. Lu, Q. Zheng, S. Li, G. Pan: HisRect: Features from Historical Visits and Recent Tweet for Co-Location Judgement. IEEE TKDE, 33(3):1005-1018, 2021.
- L. Li, M. A. Cheema, M. E. Ali, H. Lu, D. Taniar: Continuously Monitoring Alternative Shortest Paths on Road Networks. VLDB 2020.
- J. Xu, H. Lu, Z. Bao: IMO: A Toolbox for Simulating and Querying 'Infected' Moving Objects. VLDB 2020. (demo)
- P. Li, H. Lu, Q. Zheng, L. Yang, G. Pan: LISA: A Learned Index Structure for Spatial Data. ACM SIGMOD 2020. (Data and code)
- H. Li, H. Lu, A. Cheema, G. Chen, L. Shou: Indoor Mobility Semantics Annotation Using Coupled Conditional Markov Networks. IEEE ICDE 2020.
- Z. Feng, T. Liu, H. Li, H. Lu, L. Shou, J. Xu: Indoor Top-k Keyword-aware Routing Query. IEEE ICDE 2020.
- F. Yu, L. Cui, W. Guo, X. Lu, Q. Li, H. Lu: A Category-Aware Deep Model for Successive POI Recommendation on Sparse Check-in Data. The Web Conference (WWW) 2020.(Data and code)
- Z. Shao, M. A. Cheema, D. Tania, H. Lu, S. Yang: Efficiently Processing Spatial and Keyword Queries in Indoor Venues. IEEE TKDE, Accepted January 2020.
- H. Li, H. Lu L. Shou, G. Chen, K. Chen, Q. Chen: Towards Translating Raw Indoor Positioning Data into Mobility Semantics. ACM Transactions on Data Science (TDS), 1(4):26:1-37, 2020.
- Some indoor venue keyword data used in our recent research on indoor keyword-aware routing.
- TRIPS: A System for Translating Raw Indoor Positioning Data into Visual Mobility Semantics (demonstrated at VLDB 2018). Parts of the components are open source already. See details here or watch it at YouTube.
- Indoor mobility data generator Vita (demonstrated at VLDB 2016): A joint work with the Database Lab at Zhejiang University, it is open source now. Check it out at Github or watch it at YouTube.
- Muhammad Aamir Cheema (Monash University) and I gave a tutorial Indoor Data Managmement at ICDE 2016. The slides are here.
|Last modified: Dec. 2021